Pages

Thursday 15 September 2011

Dining in Style!

I was waiting on a taxi with Bryn one day last week when my cell phone rang – it was Bryn’s dad. “How would you like to have breakfast at the Burj Al Arab on Thursday morning?” Umm…I would love to!!! I mean, how can you say no to that?!?

If you don’t know, the Burj Al Arab is one of Dubai’s major icons. It is the sail shaped building that dominates the skyline. It is the only 7 star hotel in the world (only because it claims to be though…haha) and you can only get in if you are a guest or have reservations at one of the restaurants. It’s meant for the elite of the world, not people like me!

The company that Robert used to work for and had been helping out throughout the week had invited him (and a guest) to the graduation ceremony they were holding (Don’t ask what for…I don’t really know so I am not getting into it.) So, we got up bright and early on Thursday and hit the road for the 1.5 hour drive through the desert to Dubai.

We arrived a bit early, so we had some time to have a look around the hotel. It is pretty over the top, and dare I say gaudy…it’s all gold (real gold I believe) and had fish tanks in the walls. There are exquisite fountains all over. It’s definitely one of those places where someone like me is afraid to touch anything or do something wrong!! We went up to the top, where there is a restaurant that looks over the gulf. You could see the unfinished World islands to one side, and clearly see one of the palm islands from the other – really neat to actually see the shape for yourself!!

That's the world...

That's the palm.

One view of Dubai

Another resort next door to the Burj Al Arab

Another view of Dubai (you can just make out the tallest building in the world through the haze)

Next was the ceremony (mostly in Arabic other than Robert’s short speech, so I had no idea what was going on!) followed by brunch. It was nice…eggs, turkey bacon, veal sausage, pancakes, waffles, pastries, cereal, the works. The food was good enough, but I’m glad I didn’t have to pay anything for it!!

After everything was over, we wandered around a bit more while we waited for the glass elevators that will take you up the outside of the building (definitely a tourist attraction!).

Looking straight up

In front of the many musical fountains

Afterwards, we popped into a couple of malls, where I got some kitchen things from Crate and Barrel. Can’t wait to go back for more shopping when I have more time!

It was definitely an experience, and I don’t think I would have ever had the opportunity to go into the Burj Al Arab otherwise! It just goes to show how many really neat things there are to do in the UAE…we have some exciting times to come!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, fancy! I would get so dizzy looking out the top of that tower..

    ReplyDelete