Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

If I had a boat...

Bryn's birthday was in February.  It was about that time that Robert and Jan said that for his birthday present, they would like to treat us all to a chartered boat ride out into the Arabian Gulf!  Well, it took a while with everyone's busy schedules, but last weekend we finally made it out to Dubai for the trip. 

It was a beautiful day, as most of them are here - clear and sunny.  It was also hot, hot, HOT!  (For the past few weeks it has been going up to 40/100+ degrees).  However being on the water made a huge difference.
Our Vessel


 Bryn and his Dad (staying in the shade)

Jan - videographer for the day!

Me, getting every bit of sun I can! 

The boat ride was really nice.  It took about an hour, and went through the canals in the city and out into the Gulf for some spectacular views of Dubai and the Burj al Arab.  The Gulf was surprisingly smooth, so it was really pleasant to stretch out on the boat and get some sun (for me at least!)

A different - very cool - view of Dubai

 Burj Al Arab

I even stuck my toes into the water when we stopped for a photo op...man, I was tempted to jump in!  The water was nice and warm, and would have been perfect for a swim. 

All in all it was a really great day - thanks so much for the treat, Robert and Jan!! 

In other news...

We are counting down our last 5 weeks til summer vacation.  I think Bryn and I are both ready to get away for a while (two whole months!  Yay!)  We already have some home improvement plans in the works for when we get back though...a little more painting, gardening, and I think we are even going to claim ourselves a little patio behind the building.

I am officially finished with my teacher's certification course!  While we are away this summer I need to take a couple of exams to finish the official certification process, but everything is working out well.  I have been offered and accepted a position for next school year...teaching 1st grade :)  In fact, the teacher I am replacing will be leaving the country a bit early, so they have asked me to take over her class for the last month of school. Very exciting!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day to be out on the water - too hot for me though! Where are you headed on your vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was pretty hot out there, but the sea breeze was very refreshing :)
    This summer (NZ winter) we're headed to the States for some genuine chillaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an excellent plan - I certainly wouldn't recommend NZ at the moment: Brr!

    ReplyDelete