Pages

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Drumline Live

A couple months ago Yoko told me that Drumline Live was coming to Japan.  She claimed that she had wanted to see the show for years, so I told her that I would go with her if she could get tickets (which meant that Bryn was coming, too!).  The next thing I knew, she told me that she had organized tickets for me, Bryn, Ippei and her to go see the show in Osaka. 

The show was last Saturday.  Yoko picked us up Saturday morning and we set off for the Rinku Town Premium Outlets to do some shopping before the concert.  I tell you what, I do like outlets!  I could have spent a lot of money, but I decided to save my yen this trip and only came away with a new pair of purple school shoes and some fun cushion covers to brighten up the living room.

The concert was about 30 minutes away from the shopping center in Sakai, a part of Osaka.  The concert hall it was in was pretty big, but not so big that our balcony seats were bad at all (infact, I quite enjoyed sitting above...). 

In true Japanese fashion a lot of people were late arriving.  One couple arrived as it was starting, and sat in the row in front of us (the row in front of us was row ke - they announced as they sat down that they were in row ki - 2 rows down!)  Sure enough five minutes later the people holding the seats in row ke showed up.  Instead of just taking the other free seats and not causing a scene, everyone had to get up and move around!!!  Typical!!

Once everyone was in their assigned seats, we could actually enjoy the show - and it was a good show!  Drumline is made up of the "best of the best" from HBCU (Historically Black College and Universities - thank you master's in higher ed!) marching bands around the US.  They really were a talented bunch and put on a good show!

One of the most entertaining things for Bryn and I was that coming from the states, all of the speaking parts were in English with no translation or subtitles.  We were very likely the only two in the theatre who could understand!  Like I said, it was mostly entertaining, but a little sad when they would call out "Let's give so-and-so a big hand!!" and no one applauded.  There were a couple points when they were doing old school acts and yelled "Let me hear you say hey!", meaning for the audience to say "hey"...nothing!  Or as they would say in Japan shiiiiin....! 

It was crazy, but also refreshing to be one of the few who could understand, instead of the clueless girl I usually am!

Following the concert we made our way back to Tango, stopping at a really cool izakaya in Fukuchiyama for dinner.  We sat in this little cave where we had to crouch down a little hall to get in!!  We got there at about 10:20pm...unfortunately my stomach shuts down well before that so I was not hungry at all.  The food looked yummy though, so we will have to make another trip out there at a more decent hour!

Drumline Live was a lot of fun.  It's not something I would ever choose to go see on my own, but I enjoyed it, so I am really glad that Yoko wanted to go and invited us along.  It was also nice to get out of the apartment and do something random...although I have to admit - for the first time in months we have no plans for this weekend and we are both really, really excited for the nothingness ahead!!!!

2 comments:

  1. aarrgghh I hate those people who cause dramas by sitting in the wrong seats!

    You totally should have yelled out "hey!" all by yourself. All the people around you would have thought you were crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... it was tempting to shout out by ourselves, but we probably would have been glared at and told to shut up...

    Even so, it was an AWESOME performance. Drums can be really cool when done right.

    ReplyDelete